Monday 9 October 2017

Brigid Mae Power


Thanks to a recent post from Brian, I spent the best part of the back end of last week immersed in re-purchased fIREHOSE albums - and how marvellous they sound. A new tune from Brigid Mae Power managed to grab my attention though. Brigid has released a steady stream of fine music over the past 5 or 6 years via Bandcamp and latterly through the venerable Tompkins Square imprint, often sparse and eerily atmospheric in nature. 'Don't Shut Me Up (Politely)' is an unsettling piece, though with more musical flesh on the bones than we've heard previously. The folk-noir setting of the song brings to mind the work of Big Blood, a band I truly love and one I've championed on these pages many times. I can honestly pay Brigid no higher compliment than that.

'Don't Shut Me Up (Politely)' is the first taste of a new LP, 'The Two Worlds', due for release in early 2018. Count me in.

(To check out some of Brigid's earlier recordings, go here).

6 comments:

George said...

Shades of Tarnation's first album here, The Swede. And that is no bad thing, let me tell you that!

The Swede said...

I agree George.

Frank Jive said...

I like it . . . I think!

Charity Chic said...

I can see the Tarnation comparison

Brian said...

This song is a challenge. Doesn't sound like a compliment, but I mean it to be. Out there and interesting.

The Swede said...

I'll return to Brigid in the new year, all being well.

Greatest Hits