Thursday 18 May 2017

AMOR

I couldn't make it to the bloggers summit in Glasgow a couple of weeks back, but I've enjoyed reading every subsequent account of the bash from those that did. One of the sweetest stories to emerge from the weekend has to be that of Brian's meeting with Stephen Pastel in Monorail Music - I'm sure that everyone is familiar with the glorious tale by now, but just in case, read all about it here. I've never been into Monorail's store (hell, I've never been to Glasgow), but I have made several purchases from that esteemed establishment, the latest of which arrived through the post on Tuesday morning.

Your humble author with his latest slab'o'wax 

As is so often the case these days, Swiss Adam over at Bagging Area was the cause of my financial downfall, albeit via the good offices of Andrew Weatherall's Music's Not For Everyone NTS radio show. As usual, I listened to the show in fits and starts, pausing to further investigate any tunes that caught my ear along the way, one in particular stopped me in my tracks though. The voice was very familiar, even if the musical setting wasn't. The song in question was entitled 'Paradise' and credited to a new combo, AMOR, although I immediately recognised the vocalist as being the uber-prolific Richard Youngs. The AMOR project finds Youngs' dry, somewhat disconnected vocal laid over an mutant-disco backdrop, a combination that hooked me instantly. I'd located and purchased a copy of the 12" single from Monorail before Weatherall's show had finished and this was the record that the postman handed over to me on Tuesday. Get your dancing shoes on.

8 comments:

George said...

"Amor" is a very mundane name when compared with your previous offering of Jake Xerxes Fussell. Has there ever been a b etter middle name than Xerxes?

The Swede said...

'Tis true George, what ever you think of Jake's music, he does possess a highly Googleable moniker.

C said...

Love the pic! Some things just don't change :-)

Brian said...

I, too, have been placing orders to Monorail. The consensus from our gang is the prices are high, but Stephen has the goods. When I can't find something, I find myself saying, "I bet Stephen has it." He usually does.

Swiss Adam said...

Its a great record, one i keep coming back to at the moment. Like the mugshot too.

Brian said...

The top half of your head looks strikingly like that of Mr. David Byrne. You must get that all of the time.

Alyson said...

As a fellow Scot I am just so pleased that Glasgow was such a successful host city for the "summit" - Sounds as if Brian really did have the time of his life. Next time Mr S?

Walter said...

A great album you introduced to me. Thank you much Swede.

Greatest Hits