Tuesday 24 March 2015

55 From 55 - 1991

55 songs in 55 days - one for every year of my life...so far. 

It's 1991, I'm 31 years of age and the shop is ticking along. Several evenings per week, as soon as I've locked the door I dash off to a gig, somewhere in London or the South East of England, driving home through the wee small hours. During Bob Dylan's Hammersmith residencies in 1990, 1991 and 1993 I catch all the shows, working each day then driving there and back every evening. It makes me tired just thinking about it. Where did all that energy go?


One of the bands I caught in 1991 was Throwing Muses. I'd seen them a few times by this point, the earliest in 1988 with The Pixies in support, but the 'Real Ramona' LP and 1991 shows would be the last with Tanya Donelly. Here's her standout contribution to 'The Real Ramona', 'Not Too Soon'.



6 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Some good bands on that pin board.i used to proudly display mine on pin boards.Now they are confined to a tin

Brian said...

I really like the Real Ramona, too, Swede. Counting Backwards just missed my '90s list. Great shows on your board.

The Swede said...

CC & Brian. This is just a scan of a few of my surviving ticket stubs. I thought I'd drop a few of these into the mix when I don't have a snap of my own ugly mug to hand!

Scott said...

Haven't commented as much as I should have done on this wonderful series of posts. Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your life in music and, of course, the accompanying pics. Looking forward to seeing what appears in the remaining posts.

george said...

Cracking song. Swede, and absolutely loving reading about your time as a record-store owner.

The Swede said...

Scott & George. Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm very glad you're enjoying the series. When I came up with the idea, I was just going to feature a song from each year with a bit of blurb about the artist - nothing about me. Once I'd started though, it took on a life of its own! Producing a post every day is causing me to fall behind in my own blog reading and commenting - expect a big catch-up when the series ends!

Greatest Hits