Monday 9 September 2013

Version City #14 - Kronos Quartet play Bill Evans

'Peace Piece' by Bill Evans is an unrehearsed, solo piano improvisation, recorded in December 1958 and released early the following year on the brilliantly titled LP, 'Everybody Digs Bill Evans'. If you're not usually a fan of jazz, or the term 'improvisation' alarms you, fear not! This is a thing of singular beauty.


In 1986 Kronos Quartet included their own sublime interpretation of 'Peace Piece' on the LP, 'The Music of Bill Evans'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simply stunning on both counts. Being someone who welcomes jazz and improvisation with open arms, I leapt into this post with glee but what I found was beyond my expectations. Bill was a supreme key tickler of such sensitivity - must get that album. Wasn't sure what to expect of the Kronos version but it's wonderful - made me think of Vaughn Williams's 'Lark Ascending' having partaken of a little reefer, perhaps. Best things I've heard for a while.

The Swede said...

The Kronos interpretation was a relatively recent discovery, I must check out the rest of that album. Glad you dug the tunes Mr Bear.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Both sublime in their own ways...it touched my mood this morning, i'll say no more

The Swede said...

Glad you enjoyed them Old Pa.

Greatest Hits