Friday 6 September 2013

Telephone Thing

Like most things that come into my possession, I'll continue to use my mobile phone until it, or I, conk out. I'm the same with cars, CD players, computers and clothes. I use them until they are unusable and only then do I go out and look for an upgrade or replacement. I've had the same simple pay-as-you-go phone since the previous one died in 2007.


Although it goes everywhere with me, I use it chiefly as a watch. I put £10 credit onto it in March, the only time I've topped up since October last year, and my balance is currently £6.14, so that gives you some idea of how often I reach for it to make a call or send a text. So when the phone slipped from my pocket and down inside the sofa while I was enjoying a coffee this morning, I was caught off-guard by my initial reaction to its inaccessibility - something approaching mild panic. After virtually disassembling the sofa to retrieve the blighter, I'm forced to acknowledge that this little-used lump of technology in my pocket is my own version of a mid-life security blanket.


4 comments:

C said...

Ah, I know the feeling! But I admire you for your general lack of dependence on new technology (which is a far healthier way to live I'm sure). I'm in the process of getting all my data off my creaking 7 year old PC in readiness for a new one - which will have a different operating system and a load of new stuff to get used to - I know in my heart it'll probably be fine but the changeover still fills me with dread. I wouldn't be without my phone and my computer now, but at the same time I look back quite fondly at the more acceptant life I had before them.

Now, don't you go mad with that£6.14 credit...

Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way with your attitude to mobile phones. I've had mine for about 12 years (at least), so you can imagine what it looks like! The cubs are completely embarrassed when I get it out but as I use it rarely not many folk get to see it. I top it up a few times a year and keep it mainly just in case the car breaks down. Consequently, I hardly ever turn it on and I think only three or four people have my number. The truth is, I hate phones and can hardly abide using a regular phone let alone having the possibility of being contacted anytime, anywhere by all and sundry. Long live Ned Ludd! (I type on my computer keyboard, I know).

The Swede said...

C. I'm not anti-technological progression per se, it's just that if it ain't broke, I don't feel an immediate urge to fix or replace it. Mind you, your post regarding your computer got me thinking. My laptop is of a similar vintage and struggles in a similar sounding way. I might have to dig deep sooner rather than later.

Singing Bear. 12 years old? Blimey! I suddenly feel like I'm on the cutting edge of technology! I'm not keen on phones generally myself. I spent too many years being called at all hours of the day & night on day off or holiday by staff who couldn't make it into work or bosses who didn't think we should have lives.

Old Pa's Corner said...

I am a bit like that in some ways...still got my old casio watch 10 years old no change of battery. Same old nokia phoe did try a new smart phone but fingers too big...saying that I did get a tablet and really do love it

Greatest Hits