Friday 13 September 2013

Pond on Pond

With five albums since 2009 and a sixth already in the can (or perhaps on the hard- drive), Australian psych-rock combo Pond aren't hanging about in their quest for world domination. Their new LP, 'Hobo Rocket', contains the massive 'Xanman' - think George Harrison's 'Wah Wah' turned up a few notches. Hold on to your hat. 


Long before Nick Allbrook put his Tame Impala offshoot together, there was another Pond, a powerhouse three piece formed in Portland in 1991. The band produced three albums in total, but their self-titled debut on Sub Pop is the one to go for. It's loud, tight and melodic. Let's call it by it's name - it's grunge! I saw Pond perform in front of a criminally sparse crowd at the Camden Underworld in 1993 and they were a spectacular proposition in concert too. This is 'Agatha'.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both Ponds new to these ears. I'm particularly taken by the Aussies - pretty psych-tastic.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Pond on pond I like it! I also like both track to

C said...

Same here (and yes great post title!) Hadn't heard the Aussie Pond before but you've triggered a long-forgotten moment of hearing the Sub Pop ones back in the day, I'd totally forgotten about them!

The Swede said...

Glad you dig the tunes folks. I've had these on my to do list for a while, then suddenly the post title came to me while I was driving the other day - it was a sign!

flycasual said...

Pond on Pond on Pond if you count Kathryn Williams spin off band The Pond which I dug last year. O Dharma is a tune and I vaguely remember Pond from my grunge days. Criminally sparse...like it!

The Swede said...

Pond on Pond on Pond? This one could run & run!

Greatest Hits