Thursday 6 June 2013

Flip It! #1 - Earle Mankey

Earle Mankey was guitarist with the pre-'Kimono My House' Sparks, but in 1973, when Ron and Russell relocated to the UK, Mankey stayed in LA and began a long career in record production that continues to this day. Along the way he's twiddled the knobs for such artists as The Long Ryders, The Three O'Clock, The Dickies and Concrete Blonde, in addition to engineering albums by Elton John and The Beach Boys.

Mankey the performer has reappeared only sporadically since the Sparks days, one 7" single, 'Mau Mau',  on Bronze Records in 1978 and two mini-albums in the 1980's being the sum total of his output. Look out for a copy of 'Mau Mau' on your travels, it's a good tune, but not as good as the brilliant 'Crazy' on the flipside.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Earle Mankey! Now there's a name I haven't heard in years. Makes me wish I'd hung on to 'A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing' on vinyl. This is cool.

The Swede said...

It's the one & only record I own by him. I might go & check out 'Woofer' again myself, if it's streaming somewhere.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Not heard this one, it's good

Greatest Hits