Wednesday 12 September 2012

Simple Kid

Simple Kid's discography is slim - a couple of albums and a handful of singles. For a while it looked as if he was going to break through, performing on Jools Holland's show in the UK and Conan O'Brien's in the States, even supporting REM in concert. Perhaps that wasn't the point though or perhaps it just wasn't enough.

'Older now,
No longer hip to the groove,
I am roadkill,
As the headlights of mainstream culture throttle mercilessly down upon me.'

As parting shots go, they don't come much better than this. Simple Kid (aka Ciaran McFeely) 'retired' from the music business in 2011 and his swan song 'The Road', a positive spiritual anthem and personal statement rolled into one, was released in Spring of this year.

6 comments:

C said...

Oh I remember seeing Simple Kid on Jools Holland and was so impressed by his one-man-band approach and sharp, witty lyrics ('Average Man') Then saw him live soon after (supporting Joseph Arthur) and really enjoyed his refreshing and almost naive, natural approach - a real one-off. I think he was one of those performers though where you only get the full effect from seeing him, it doesn't work so much just aurally for me. It was the whole package: this small, young Irishman with his charming stage presence, his rough edges not smoothed out, and the way he put it all the sounds together himself (he had some kind of mixing desk/screen set up on stage) that did it for me. By its very nature I guess that sort of thing just can't last. Good on him for doing it at all - and thanks for reminding me of him!

The Swede said...

I never did get to see him live and it sounds, from your description C, as though I really missed out. Not sure if he's actually retired or just retired the name Simple Kid, time will tell I suppose.

flycasual said...

Yup, whatever happened to him...I remember the album with Drugs and Average Man, really good original stuff and dubbed the Irish Beck?! This is peculiar but good..love my funked up electronica..

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of him. Can I blame it on encroaching senility? I like this rather a lot.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Yes Flycasual introduced me to him, it was excellant stuff....I had forgotton all about him...nice reminder

The Swede said...

I can appreciate that it's a bit of a Marmite tune, but I find it curiously moving. Mrs S isn't convinced!

Thanks for tuning in all.

Greatest Hits